There’s nothing new about house burglaries. They have been happening ever since human first started living inside homes and they certainly don’t look like they’ll be stopping anytime soon. Every year there are approx. 28,000 reports of home intrusion our burglaries in Ireland.
If you home gets burgled can be traumatic experience and leave you stressed and under pressure both financially and emotionally. Now that we are approaching the winter months and the days are getting shorter and nights longer, there is a longer period of darkness. This extra darkness means that burglars may find it easier to be unseen or unnoticed as the carry out a burglary.
The below infographic that An Garda Síochána have released gives some facts about burglaries during the winter months along with some tips on how you can help prevent you and your home becoming a target and victim of a house burglary.
Here are the facts and tips in case you cannot see the image.
- In Winter, burglaries increase by 25%.
- Over 40% of burglaries in Winter occur between 5pm and 11pm.
- In 20% of burglaries, entry is through an unsecured door or window.
- Jewellery and cash are the most common articles stolen during burglaries.
- There were over 200 cases where car keys were ‘fished’ through the letterbox in the past year.
Top 5 Tips:
- Secure all doors and windows.
- Light up your Home. Use timer switches when out.
- Store keys safely and away from windows and letterboxes.
- Record details of valuables and don’t keep large cash amounts at home.
- Use your alarm, even when at home.
In order to decrease the financial strain on you in the event of a burglary, you should have your home insured. Our house insurance specialists are experts in home insurance and have a wealth of experience in all home types and house insurance policies. They will be able to get you the best and correct insurance cover for you and your home, all in just one call.
Call our house insurance team today on (01) 603 2999 or fill out our quick quote form online and they will be able to talk you through the best insurance options for your situation.